Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New York Fashion Week Part II



Today I went to my first "serious" fashion show in this town - Derek Lam. I call it serious because the goliaths of fashion were there and when that happens, you know the brand has to be taken seriously.
The show wasn't held in the tents at Bryant Park but in a beautiful old space on the Bowery called Capitale.  I was beyond excited when I saw the Vogue quartet arrive and sit front row - Andre, Anna, Grace and Tonne. I felt like I had stepped into the pages of "the September Issue".  My blackberry struggled under the enormity of the occasion, but here are 2 very blurry shots to get excited about:

Andre Leon Talley in his signature "bear skin rug"

 An artistic rendition of the Vogue Powerhouse Trio

My boss was seated directly behind Mr bearskin. Needless to say her view of the show was limited. Ms Wintour was dressed in her signature fur and black sunglasses. I get breathless even thinking about it.

Anyway, the clothes were to die for. The theme was "Myth of the West" and it was all really an ode to the urban cowgirl in us all. Think lots of fringing, leather, boots made for walking and a nod to the Georgia O'Keefe bolero, with a few random feathers and alot of fur (heck it even gets cold in the desert you know). All that was missing were the smoking guns. 
The music was a fab mix of the Paris Texas soundtrack and Malcolm Mclaren's "Buffalo Girls". And the piece de resistance? It was snowing real snow heavily outside the show and they had fake snow falling on the inside!









Images: The Cut from fashion frenzy, style.com

No comments: