Sunday, August 1, 2010

Red Hill



Just back from being away for too long. But I did love getting a fix of Melbourne in winter. Not cold like a New York winter. More like our autumn weather, with bright blue skies, frosty mornings and enough of a chill in the air to warrant a fire.

Apart from mum fracturing her shoulder on the day I arrived home so me having to play nursemaid, personal shopper and chef for the week,  I did manage to spend a glorious weekend with my brother at his place at Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula, which in my mind, is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Nothing better than a weekend in the bush, burning off in the back paddock with 3 generations of family - father, brother and niece - and that unforgettable smell of smoking gum leaves.





It also gave me time to hang out with this little 2&1/2 yr old treasure who introduced me to her favorite chook Henny Penny,


terrorized dad's veggie garden by proudly pulling out all the carrots for me,


and endlessly amused herself on the beach.


Then, as night fell, the full moon shone brightly through the silent gums and I got a fabulous fix of those forever laughing kookaburras whilst being mesmerized by the fire.



1 comment:

Tricia Rose said...

That sound like the perfect visit home (except for your poor mum!) - especially while New York has been suffering such heat~